Wellness at Your Fingertips: Get Your Fiber On!
I hope you are well. I’m happy to share that the Infinite Greens plant-based diet challenge is in its third week and the group is making progress eating cleaner, sharing ideas, and recording health metrics. Our guest speaker last night discussed GI wellness and the importance of fiber to our gut. Plants are the best source of fiber and most of us don’t eat enough of it!
What is fiber?
- It is the portion of plants that can’t be digested by enzymes in the gut. Fiber is generally thought of as a prebiotic.
- Dietary fiber is made up of both soluble (dissolves in water) and insoluble fiber (doesn’t dissolve in water).
How much fiber do you need per day?
- An average adult should eat 25-36 grams of fiber per day (based on a 1500-2000 cal/day diet). That's a lot of fiber—apples have about 4grams—you would have to eat 6-7 apples a day! Here is a list to help you design your meals.
- Don’t forget that kids of all ages need fiber too. Here is a chart to help guide their intake.
Why is it important?
- Fiber is powerful and preventative.
- Getting adequate fiber has been shown to decrease heart disease, colon cancer, obesity, and diabetes. It lowers insulin levels, blood pressure, and improves cholesterol. In addition, it improves digestive problems such as diarrhea, constipation, hemorrhoids, and diverticular disease.
Where do you get the most fiber?
- Plants! Any real, whole fruit or vegetable.
- Fiber supplements such as Metamucil, Fiber con are helpful. Just make sure to take it with plenty of fluids (at least 1 glass of water) and start slow.
How can you increase your fiber intake?
- Make a plan and start slowly.
- Add a handful of greens to every meal.
- Keep it simple and try to make it fun, if you can!
So no doubt friends, fiber is vital to our health and wellness. Spread the word and tell your friends and family about the importance of fiber and GI wellness! The old proverb ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away’ is a simple reminder to eat more fiber.
Don’t forget the 3 Ws, friends:
- Wear your mask
- Wash your hands
- Watch your distance
I look forward to seeing you soon!